By Mike Nolan: Daily Southtown
A Chicago man already facing charges in connection with carjackings this summer in Mokena and New Lenox has been charged in an attempted carjacking that took place in Orland Park in September, police said Monday.
Tyron Harris, 23, of the 600 block of West 129th Place, has been in custody at the Will County Jail since Sept. 30 on $1.6 million bond.
He had previously been charged in connection with an Aug. 16 carjacking in New Lenox and one Sept. 13 in Mokena, both of which took place outside gas stations.
In the Sept. 15 attempted carjacking in Orland Park, a customer leaving a dry cleaners was confronted by two men, one of whom had a gun, according to Orland Park police.
The customer told police the men demanded his car keys, cash and cellphone but were unable to start his car and left in another vehicle, one that had previously been reported as stolen, police said.[Most read] Coronavirus in Illinois updates: 6,239 new and probable cases of COVID-19 and 116 additional deaths reported Tuesday »
Harris is charged in Cook County with armed robbery, attempted vehicular hijacking, possession of a stolen motor vehicle, unlawful use of a weapon by a felony and theft, police said.
Court operations related to COVID-19 restrictions delayed the process of getting charges approved in the Orland Park case, police said.
Original article: chicagotribune.com